Summer nights (and days) are really amazing. The sun might be hot in the daytime, but it's always worth it when you can kick back and relax in the warm summer nights.
PS: "kick back" reminds me... We heard the song "Can I Kick It?" on Thursday, Friday, AND Saturday while we were out.
- Ate at Border Grill downtown
- Accidentally showed up 2 hours early at the Bootleg thanks to the wrong set time in an email (8:30 is the same as 10:30, right?)
- Ubered over to Mohawk Bend for drinks and photo-booth-ing
- Walked across the street to Bar Bandini to kill some more time
- Headed to the Bootleg for real this time to see Kyle Craft, which was the BEST $9 show of my life
- Let's just say Saturday morning was a bit of a struggle, which consisted of watching A LOT of Game of Thrones... with the blinds shut and all of the lights off
- Late afternoon, we went over to the Annenberg for the KCRW Sound in Focus concert with Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- Got a Dogtown Dog and some "ice cream of the future" from food trucks
- Edward Sharpe wasn't super sharp that night and we went home before he even played it
Coachella Weekend 1. Whoa. You're so much better than weekend 2 it's crazy! (heat-wise that is). 75-90 degree weather, you were wonderful. Thanks for that.
Jack White killed it. So fucking good. 🙌 He dedicated his show to the transgender community, and reminded us that music is sacred and we should spend time to be thankful for that every day. 100%.
Below is his setlist from that night. I basically got to see The White Stripes (sorry Meg, you're not really needed), and he even played a Raconteurs song. I was waiting for some Dead Weather to show up in the mix too, but that didn't happen.
- Icky Thump
- High Ball Stepper
- Hotel Yorba (White Stripes)
- Temporary Ground
- Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (White Stripes)
- Cannon (White Stripes)
- Just One Drink
- Love Interruption
- We're Going to Be Friends (White Stripes)
- I've Been Loving You Too Long (Cover)
- Weep Themselves to Sleep
- Hello Operator (White Stripes)
- Steady As She Goes (Raconteurs)
- I'm Slowly Turning Into You (White Stripes)
- Ball and Biscuit (White Stripes)
- Sixteen Saltines
- That Black Bat Licorice
- Would You Fight for My Love?
- Seven Nation Army (White Stripes)
So obviously Jack White was my favorite, but we did see a ton of other awesome artists as well. We saw 24 shows in total. Wow. That's a lot for one weekend, and it's probably why my body is angry at me and I'm sick at the moment.
Friday // Sylvan Esso (amazing set), The War on Drugs, Alabama Shakes, Interpol, Todd Terje and the Olsens, Tame Impala, and AC/DC.
Saturday // Jamestown Revival, St. Paul and the Broken Bones, Toro y Moi, Jungle, Yelle, Glass Animals, alt-J, Jack White, and the Weeknd.
Sunday // Mac DeMarco, RAC, St. Lucia, Jenny Lewis (she played some Rilo Kiley!), Kaskade, St. Vincent, Fitz & the Tantrums, and Drake.
I basically got to see two bands last weekend who were broken up and I never thought I'd get to see: The White Stripes and Rilo Kiley. To be honest, there were a couple moments where I almost cried. So, so happy.
We stayed in a condo at a country club this time around, which is crazy different than the car camping experiences I've had in the past. My first Coachella experience was 110 degree weather, a forgotten EZ-Up, and no showers. Let's just say it was interesting.
The house was nice; it almost made it feel like a lazy weekend when it wasn't at all.
All this music, warm weather and good times with friends is getting me excited about Sasquatch! Which is a month away! Hello road trip to Washington to see Hot Chip, Spoon, Little Dragon, and James Blake. 4 of my all time favorites! You can see the full lineup here. I have a feeling it's going to be even better than Coachella.
2014 was a really big year in music for me. I'm pretty sure I went to at least 50 shows, and listened to somewhere around 2,500 minutes worth of music.
Out of all of that, the following is what was constantly on repeat. It's in order from Best to Best. But number one is the best-est.
- They Want My Soul // Spoon
- Nabuma Rubberband // Little Dragon
- This is All Yours // Alt-J
- El Pintor // Interpol
- Jungle // Jungle
- Chinese Fountain // The Growlers
- Lazaretto // Jack White
- Michael // Le Sins
- In Return // Odesza
- Morning Phase // Beck
I've also made a playlist of my top 20-something songs of 2014. Have a listen down below. Hope you dig it.