The March playlist is here! Ft. new tunes from Gary Clark Jr., White Denim, Cherry Glazerr, Superet and more. 🎶Have a listen below.
Here's the highlights:
Gary Clark Jr.’s new album This Land came out last Friday. So many good songs, but “When I’m Gone” is definitely my favorite.
You may recognize Superet from the December playlist. Well, they’re back with a few new singles gearing up for a full album in May! It’s a side project of Alex Fischel, (Spoon’s keyboardist), where he turns the electricity up on the keys 1,000%.
White Denim is back with new music! An EP titled “Reverse Mirror” dropped last Friday.
The March playlist is here! 🎶Ft. new tunes from Courtney Barnett, Dr. Dog, The Voidz, Lord Huron and more. 🎧 Do your ears a favor and have a listen below 🎧
Here's the highlights:
- The Voidz are a band formed by Julian Casablancas of The Strokes and they've got a new track titled "Leave it In My Dreams". I'd like to leave this song in my dreams so I could listen on repeat while sleeping.
- Albert Hammond, Jr. (also from The Strokes) is back with new solo tunes! You can definitely hear loads of Strokes-esque guitar moments in "Far Away Truths".
- "Nameless, Faceless" by Courtney Barnett is a battlecry of a song directed at small-minded men who are internet trolls and just all around terrible people. The best part of it is, Barnett shows how sad and lonely their lifestyle is with lyrics like "I wish that someone could hug you" and "I'm real sorry 'bout whatever happened to you". Fight that hate with empathy and love!
Speaking of lyrics, this month's playlist is loaded with good lines, so I thought I'd do something a little bit different by picking a few of my favorites and making them tangible. I cut out some giant letters, made a letterboard and a little marquee of the lyrics that really stuck with me to create a visual representation of the songs.
King Tuff's "Psycho Star" is a song weighted by the underlying question of reality. My favorite moment in it is: "Chaos and confusion, maybe that is all we really are. The universe is probably an illusion, but isn't it so beautifully bizarre that here we are?" Isn't it?
"Everybody has a light" is such a sweet sentiment in The Dig's track, "Moonlight Baby".
A great kick-in-the-ass reminder from Dr. Dog to "Never give up, go out fighting" off of their new track, "Go Out Fighting".
And finally, a simple but oh-so-complicated note from The Voidz: "Don't overthink it".
I'm sure I'll be illustrating a few more lyrics off of this playlist as the month goes on (because there's too many good ones!). Creating these were so much fun, as was driving around L.A. to snap all of the photos.
Happy March! Apparently, March is National Noodle Month? I just sort of ran with that because I thought noodle type would be super fun... and it is. Time to pack in all that pasta before swimsuit season hits! *You can listen to this playlist with or without noodles.
Here's some highlights from this month's playlist (which you can listen to below):
- There's a band named Steve Buscemi's Dreamy Eyes, and I think they win for best band name ever.
- Spoon released another single. I'm seeing them next Monday at The Observatory in Santa Ana; that's a week before their new album comes out so I'm crossing my fingers for a sneak peek!
- Some new music surprises as of late have been Little Dragon and Sylvan Esso. It's like their new songs appeared out of thin air.
March is going to be a month of changes. Really, really good changes and I'm so ready.
One song in particular I'm connecting with right now is Fade to White by Blackbird Blackbird; it's one of those songs that when it plays and you're driving in your car or on a train looking out the window, it's like a movie passing you by. Personally, I can't help but think about where I've been and where I'm going.
Have a listen for yourself below.