The November playlist is here! Ft. new tunes from Toro y Moi, Steve Gunn, Beirut, Little Dragon and more. 🎶Have a listen below.
Here's the highlights:
Toro y Moi dropped a new single and announced a new album Outer Peace set for a January release.
Cat power is finally back!”
“Mono” by Zero 7 is on my heavy rotation right now.
Beirut is back with new tunes!
The September playlist is here! Ft. new tunes from Cat Power, Kurt Vile, White Denim, Big Red Machine and more. 🎶 Have a listen below.
Here's the highlights:
- The new Big Red Machine and Wild Nothing albums arrived on Friday!
- AND the new Interpol and White Denim albums arrived a week ago! Yay, new music.
- Kurt Vile is back with a new single, "Loading Zones".
- And so is Cat Power! With a tune titled "Woman".
Boo! The October Playlist is here!
Here are some highlights:
- Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile are making music together! Their new album is called Lotta Sea Lice and it's out the 13th of this month! They just released this video for the song Continental Breakfast; it's basically them hanging out with friends and family and it's really just the sweetest.
- Morrissey has a new song, Spent the Day in Bed, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet... but I'm excited to hear more from him.
- An out of the blue album release is rare, but Deer Tick one-upped us and released 2 albums out of nowhere in mid-September. If you're an alt-country-type, they have a show at the Teragram on November 11.
- If you like Angel Olsen, you'll probably like Lomelda. Everyone needs some mellow angelic singing in their lives, and this song happens to be perfect for driving.
- Okay so this has nothing to do with this month's playlist, but Wolf Parade's new album Cry Cry Cry comes out October 6, but you can stream it now on NPR!
PS: This Halloween, (okay technically October 28), you can find me at the KCRW Masquerade Ball. There's going to be music by The Black Madonna, Matthew Dear, Tensnake, Moon Boots and more! See you there?
It's my birthday month! I'm currently headed to Hicksville in Idyllwild to stay in a Twin Peaks, "Great Northern" themed motel room. More on that later. For now, some tunes!
Here's some highlights from the September playlist:
- LCD Soundsystem's new album is out TODAY! I'm seeing them at The Palladium in November!
- There's a collab in the works with Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile. Their album is set to release this fall.
- I went to my first show at the Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetery last week with El Ten Eleven ft. Emile Mosseri, with Korey Dane. I’ve been wanting to see a concert in the cemetery for a while and this line-up just really clicked. Mellow tunes and instrumentals in a beautiful, intimate space. El Ten Eleven is typically an instrumental band, but have collaborated with Emile Mosseri on their new EP, "Unusable Love". They pair so well together. At one point during the show someone in the crowd yelled, "Make more music together!", and the band smiled. Korey Dane, is kind of an up and comer with his folksy, indie rock. I discovered his music after I heard a few of his songs on KCRW lately, and by chance he opened the show. Solid set done by all.
- The first time I listened to Cupid by The Big Moon, I mistook the singer for Alex Turner of The Arctic Monkeys. Listening further I realized it was a female's voice, who just really sounds like him, and I'm super into it.
2015. This is farewell, isn't it? I feel like I just wrote my roundup of 2014 yesterday.
This past year I saw 106 bands. Granted there’s a few festivals in there, but still. That’s A LOT of music. Let's see if I can top that in 2016!
Out of all that music, here's my top 10:
- Why Make Sense? // Hot Chip
- Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit // Courtney Barnett
- Currents // Tame Impala
- b’lieve I’m goin down… // Kurt Vile
- Return to the Moon // El Vy
- Yours, Dreamily, // The Arcs
- Multi-Love // Unknown Mortal Orchestra
- The Waterfall // My Morning Jacket
- I Love You, Honeybear // Father John Misty
- The Magic Whip // Blur
I've made a playlist of my top songs of 2015 including some of my favorite songs off these albums. Have a listen below.
One of my fondest memories of 2015 was at Sasquatch! Music Festival when Joe Goddard of Hot Chip danced the entirety of Why Make Sense doing a shuffle sort of thing while still fully playing his keyboard perfectly. Of course, they're my number 1. Always will be!
Courtney Barnett was also at Sasquatch! this year, and she blew my mind. Ever since Avant Gardner, I've been paying very close attention to this Aussie chick. Seeing her play the main stage in front of The Gorge was just breathtaking. Tame Impala and Father John Misty also played that festival. What a great lineup... can't wait to go back!
My Morning Jacket was a staple show of this year as well. I won tickets from KCRW along with a signed album of The Waterfall, and on top of that they played with Dr Dog and Fruit Bats at The Shrine. It was amazing.
El Vy sort of came out of the woodwork this year. I've always been a fan of The National, and when I heard that Matt Berninger was taking on a side project I got so excited. Happy to say that they did not disappoint. This album is constantly on repeat.
The Arcs remind me of old school Black Keys, a.k.a. when they were REALLY good in my opinion. Dan Auerbach is just magic when he slows it down. You should check out his solo stuff, too. Mm SO GOOD.
Pretty Pimpin on Kurt Vile's b’lieve I’m goin down… might be one of my most played songs of the year. To me it's about figuring out who you are as a person, and learning to know yourself as you change. I've been doing a lot of that lately.
Multi-Love from Unknown Mortal Orchestra is just a feel good album. The kind that gets you swaying a little bit in your seat when you listen.
There's a little bit of electro sprinkled into Blur's latest album. They still have that mellow feel about them but it's sort of refreshing having something different with it. Speaking of sprinkles... that album cover?! A neon sign AND ice cream is almost enough for me to sell the album even without listening to it. ALMOST.