You guys... not to pat myself on the shoulder too much, but this month's playlist is really good! It's just one minute shy of an hour, starts off mellow, gets dancy in the middle, a bit head-bang-y towards the end, and finishes off with a toe-tap. Have a listen below.
Here are some highlights from the February playlist:
- I'm a little late to the game stumbling upon Michael Nau. His song "Good Thing" is instantly relaxing... just breathe and listen. It'll do you good.
- Jack White has released 3 new singles within the past couple of weeks, and "Respect Commander" is my favorite out of them. I love the transitional pacing of the song and all of the weird little noises that accompany it. I snagged tickets to his sold out show at The Santa Barbara Bowl later this year!
- The Shins recently flipped their latest album "Heartworms" and re-recorded it on the album "The Worm's Heart". It's interesting hearing the songs in a totally different tone than the originals. My favorite song from the re-work is "Heartworms - Flipped". From the get-go, you hear a synthesized version of the "la, la, la, la" intro from the original track, and it only gets poppier from there.
- Karen O is back with a new song ft. Michael Kiwanuka for KENZO's Spring/Summer campaign film. "YO! MY SAINT" is a celebration of the muse in creative collaborations, and I'm very happy with how this collab turned out.
Coachella Weekend 1. Whoa. You're so much better than weekend 2 it's crazy! (heat-wise that is). 75-90 degree weather, you were wonderful. Thanks for that.
Jack White killed it. So fucking good. 🙌 He dedicated his show to the transgender community, and reminded us that music is sacred and we should spend time to be thankful for that every day. 100%.
Below is his setlist from that night. I basically got to see The White Stripes (sorry Meg, you're not really needed), and he even played a Raconteurs song. I was waiting for some Dead Weather to show up in the mix too, but that didn't happen.
- Icky Thump
- High Ball Stepper
- Hotel Yorba (White Stripes)
- Temporary Ground
- Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (White Stripes)
- Cannon (White Stripes)
- Just One Drink
- Love Interruption
- We're Going to Be Friends (White Stripes)
- I've Been Loving You Too Long (Cover)
- Weep Themselves to Sleep
- Hello Operator (White Stripes)
- Steady As She Goes (Raconteurs)
- I'm Slowly Turning Into You (White Stripes)
- Ball and Biscuit (White Stripes)
- Sixteen Saltines
- That Black Bat Licorice
- Would You Fight for My Love?
- Seven Nation Army (White Stripes)
So obviously Jack White was my favorite, but we did see a ton of other awesome artists as well. We saw 24 shows in total. Wow. That's a lot for one weekend, and it's probably why my body is angry at me and I'm sick at the moment.
Friday // Sylvan Esso (amazing set), The War on Drugs, Alabama Shakes, Interpol, Todd Terje and the Olsens, Tame Impala, and AC/DC.
Saturday // Jamestown Revival, St. Paul and the Broken Bones, Toro y Moi, Jungle, Yelle, Glass Animals, alt-J, Jack White, and the Weeknd.
Sunday // Mac DeMarco, RAC, St. Lucia, Jenny Lewis (she played some Rilo Kiley!), Kaskade, St. Vincent, Fitz & the Tantrums, and Drake.
I basically got to see two bands last weekend who were broken up and I never thought I'd get to see: The White Stripes and Rilo Kiley. To be honest, there were a couple moments where I almost cried. So, so happy.
We stayed in a condo at a country club this time around, which is crazy different than the car camping experiences I've had in the past. My first Coachella experience was 110 degree weather, a forgotten EZ-Up, and no showers. Let's just say it was interesting.
The house was nice; it almost made it feel like a lazy weekend when it wasn't at all.
All this music, warm weather and good times with friends is getting me excited about Sasquatch! Which is a month away! Hello road trip to Washington to see Hot Chip, Spoon, Little Dragon, and James Blake. 4 of my all time favorites! You can see the full lineup here. I have a feeling it's going to be even better than Coachella.